Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Guess what my big girls want...



uh huh...a budgie. Did you know that's the actual name of a Parakeet? I didn't. It all started a couple of weeks ago. It was a warm Sunday afternoon and we decide to go to lunch after church. We had a great lunch just lovin' up the warm weather, went for ice cream at Cold Stone and the pet store was in the same plaza. The girls love pet stores. Of course, this wasn't one of those pet stores with all the cute little puppies. Nope, this was a pet store mostly catering to pet supplies. Anyhow, they do have fish, a couple of cats (for adoption) and some lizards. Oh and lots and lots of birds. The babies love birds. Every morning we hear them giggling and we know they are peaking out their window watching the birds in the backyard. So seeing the birds we decided to show the babies up close. No surprises when they just giggled and giggled. The big surprise (kinda) was how the big girls begged and begged to buy a bird with some of their birthday money they had been saving. I tried to teach them a lesson (insert: lecture) about how to be a good pet owner you should really think about what is involved in taking care of what ever animal you are considering purchasing or adopting. Josh and I told them how important it was to really think about your decision and not to just jump into owning a new pet. We said that they had never mentioned wanting a pet bird before and they have no idea how to even take care of a bird. Hmmm, you think they were listening? Anyway, it sounded good. We said maybe if they do research and still thought they wanted one we would "consider" rethinking our decision. For now no birds. Well, can I tell you as I sit here by my computer there is a STACK of print offs from the internet about "training birds to accept petting" and "first aid for sick and injured birds". Chloe had library at school yesterday guess what book she chose. Yup, a book about taking care of birds, more importantly the kind of birds she wants. She had me read it to her last night. So now what? I know for a fact they will take care of the birds maybe. maybe. the first week. Then guess who will be taking care of the birds. ME. I said birds because apparently they get really lonely so you should have at least 2. Oh, but don't worry cuz they most likely won't mate in a small cage if you accidentally get a boy and a girl (this is what the book says). I wonder if the book about dwarf hamsters says the same thing. Oh wait...she was pregnant when we bought her and had absolutely no idea. Long story ;0). Anyhow, so I went to look at a house tonight and the potential seller had "2" budgies. How perfect. So I asked him what he thought. He said really they are the best pet and so easy to take care of. I don't know what we'll do but I don't think we'll be buying any birds before vacation. Do they kennal birds?...kidding. On the upside I think Tinkerbell would love having birds in the house. :0) The idea is growing on me but I am not rushing into anything. The book was really informative...did you know you should "shower" your birds once a week? Seriously. Kenna was amazed that birds only had to shower once a week but people have to shower at least every other. That's my girl.

3 comments:

twin power mommy ♥ said...

That's funny. Your little girls were serious about this whole thing. My girls are begging for a dog. Mind you, we already have a cat. Dogs are such a high maintenance animal. Too much for me right now. I've already got a toddler that i am cleaning up after and taking special care of.
My little sister had birds when we were teenagers. I hated them. They slept in our room. They chirped and chirped all night long. They never sang or did neat things. There was always fine feathers all around their cage. Ummmmm, yeah....sorry to go there! Brings back bad memories :(

twin power mommy ♥ said...

Did i mention there were feathers...EVERYWHERE!?

Casey's trio said...

Hmmmm... I wonder if your girls will get their wish? I think the chirping would do me in!