Thursday, September 25, 2008


i am so happy to say that. guilty, guilty, guilty, guilty!!! i am so glad that my hubby can put this behind him. the trial was this week and it was a tough one but still i cannot imagine how hard for little manny's mommy. in case you don't remember what i'm referring to here's a refresher.


He murdered his girlfriend's toddler, according to the nine women and three men who deliberated the fate of an Orrville man who told police the child's fatal injuries likely were the result of two falls.
Following several hours of deliberations, jurors in Wayne County Common Pleas Court found James Vincent Gray, 38, guilty of murder, two counts of endangering children and involuntary manslaughter stemming from the child's Feb. 28 death. The murder charge carries a sentence of 15 years to life in prison.
A single count of felonious assault was dismissed Tuesday afternoon by Judge Mark K. Wiest.
Kristin E. "Manny" Dixon Jr. died at Akron Children's Hospital, where he was flown on Feb. 25 from Dunlap Community Hospital where his mother, Staci Williams, and Gray took him after Williams arrived home from work to find the toddler lying on the floor with his eyes rolled back into his head.
His death was caused by blunt force trauma to the head and ruled a homicide, according to the Tuesday testimony of a forensic pathologist who examined the child's body the day after his death. The medical examiner denied suggestions the fatal wounds were the result of the child running into a wall or falling onto a hard metal object.
But in closing arguments, Defense Attorney Andy Hyde said the child's injuries could have resulted from a running fall onto a metal vacuum cleaner, an accident Gray reportedly admitted witnessing even before police involvement.
Hyde argued the child had a poor diet, which could have prevented him from healing as would a well-nourished child.
Pointing to cuts and bruises documented in photos of Manny's head, torso and feet, taken both before and after his death, Assistant Prosecutor John Williams argued "this baby was beaten all over his body."
"We don't know what exactly happened between (Gray) and Manny during those four hours they were alone together, but we know a number of things happened that placed these marks all over his body," Williams said, suggesting members of the jury, on closer inspection of the pictures, "may start counting how many (bruises were shown in the photos)."
The verdict, Williams said, was "what I asked for and the evidence supported it."
Hyde disagreed.
"I'm disappointed in the verdict. I think the prosecution threw several charges out to see what would stick and (the charges are) inconsistent with each other. And this jury found him guilty of them all," Hyde said.
He noted the murder conviction indicates Gray killed the child as a result of abuse, while the manslaughter charge indicates Manny's death was the result of excessive discipline.
"It just seemed like emotion took over for logic," Hyde said, who cautioned jurors in closing arguments to set emotion aside and not find him guilty of murder because the child died after being injured while with him.

1 comment:

twin power mommy said...

What a sad, tragic thing. And to think that kind of stuff happens every day to poor defenseless little kids.
I read about that kinda stuff all the time in our local newspaper. It just makes me sick.
A friend of mine has a little boy who was, last week, taken to the hospital for seizures and his eyes were rolling in the back of his head.
It's such a scary thing! You never know when someone else is watching your babies!